A Brief History of NFE
Established in 1888 as a foundry near the waterfront in Nanaimo, the original company, previously known as Nanaimo Foundry and Engineering, serviced industries such as shipbuilding, fishing, mining, and logging. Over time, the company moved away from the metal casting business and into metal fabrication, machining and field construction.
In 2016 we streamlined our name to NFE Manufacturing Inc. and expanded our operations. NFE operates out of a 26,000 sq. ft. facility on eight acres of land located in Chemainus, BC.
With a large lay down area and direct access to marine barging, NFE is capable of fabricating and shipping products ranging in size from small machined parts to large items like conveyors, ramps and marine bumpers.
More than fabrication, machining, and industrial painting, NFE Manufacturing is also engineering, design and field services such as installation, maintenance and demolition. With diversified trades – machinists, fabricators, millwrights, and pipe fitters – our project base has expanded to include equipment for water purification, sewage treatment and frac water recycling. Today, NFE services a wide spectrum of industries that now include oil and gas, hydro-electric and aerospace.
A Look Back
The Nanaimo Foundry is established at the corner of Comox Road and Arena Street by Thomas and Nathaniel Dobeson
The Nanaimo Foundry moves to it’s current location on Smiley Road in Chemainus